Top Ten Green Auto Repair Practices
Good Housekeeping & Pollution Prevention
- Minimize the liquids you use and discharge. Clean up spills immediately and use dry clean-up practices.
- Cut out the use of absorbent (kitty litter, rice hulls, and dry sweep).Instead use a squeegee and dust pan or an oil mop.
- Replace your petroleum naphtha solvent sink with an aqueous-based sink or parts washer.
Solid Waste Reduction
- Order recycling containers for newspapers, cardboard, plastic, and glass.
- Order motor oil, anti-freeze, and other fresh fluids in bulk, rather than in multiple, individual containers.
Energy Savings & Water Savings
- Eliminate the use of spray cans. Replace with brake cleaning sinks or refillable spray containers.
- Replace T-12 bulbs and fixtures with T-8s whenever feasible to produce good lighting with lower energy use.
- Install timers or motion sensors to shut off lights in rooms that are not in constant use throughout the work day.
- Eliminate unnecessary car washing. For exterior cleaning use only plain water or prevent soapy water from entering a storm drain.
- Check your water bill monthly to look for and investigate spikes in use that may indicate a leak in your plumbing.
Use Green Business checklist to select and record measures to conserve resources and prevent pollution.
Some actions businesses take include:
- buying only recycled-content paper and copying double-sided
- cleaning with less toxic products
- using efficient lighting systems to save energy
- conserving water with low-flow toilets and faucet aerators
- Government Regulation for filter and tire disposal